Do you have meat eating, vegetarian, and vegan friends and family? If so, then this recipe is for you! I’ve adapted it from the Kashi website. For meat eaters prepare it as written. For vegetarians just leave out the chicken. Last, but not least, leave out the chicken and feta cheese for vegans. Any of the options taste great and are healthy!
Cranberry Chicken Pilaf Salad with Toasted Almonds
1 C. Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf
1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained reserving the juice for dressing
1/4 C. lemon juice
1 T. brown sugar
1/8 t. ground pepper
1/4 C. canola oil
1 C. dried cranberries
10 oz. shelled edamame, cooked and cooled
1/4 C. minced sweet onion or green onions
1 C. slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 C. reduced fat feta cheese
1 1/2 C. diced, cooked chicken
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Prepare the Kashi Pilaf according to package instructions; scoop into a large bowl to cool.
3. Add the dried cranberries to the cooling pilaf and mix.
4. Place slivered almonds on a cookie sheet and bake about 7 minutes until they are golden brown.
5. Drain mandarin oranges reserving 1/2 C. of the juice in a small mixing bowl.
6. To the mandarin orange liquid, whisk in the lemon juice, brown sugar, and pepper. While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in the canola oil until a dressing forms.
7. Add the onions, edamame, and dressing and mix well.
8. Add the mandarin oranges and mix gently. Salad can be made ahead to this point.
9. Add slivered almonds just before serving so they stay crunchy.
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrates 55g
Protein 13 g
Without the Chicken 365 calories
Without the Chicken and Feta 353 calories