We have a group of friends with which we get together on Saturday mornings for a potluck brunch occasionally. Eight of us got together this morning and my contribution was this coffeecake. Since Thanksgiving is this week and Christmas shortly follows, I thought some of you might enjoy having this recipe. If you don’t have a springform pan, this can be baked in a 9 X 13 inch cake pan as well. Enjoy!
1 C. unsalted butter, room temperature (if using salted, don’t add anymore salt)
2 C. sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. almond extract
4 C. flour
1 T. + 1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt (if using)
1-12 oz. pkg. fresh cranberries
1 C. buttermilk
1/2 C. sliced almonds
2 T. sugar
2 T. brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10″ springform pan or 9 X 13″ pan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and almond extract and beat until combined.
4. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the batter a 1/2 C. at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the cranberries.
6. Spread the batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds, sugar, and brown sugar.
If making in the springform pan, bake for 1 hour, then check for doneness by inserting a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. If there is batter stuck to it, bake for 5-10 minutes longer and check again. If baking in the 9 X 13″ pan, check after 45 minutes for doneness.
Serves 10- 12